Thursday 18 July 2013

Eat Here Before You Die: Angeline's/ the Hubb in Bloomfield, Ontario

I have had hundreds of Burgers in my life: McDonald's, Burger King, Harvey's, A&W, White Spot (a fav), Five Guys, Johnny Rockets, excellent homemade burgers.....you name it, I ate it!

But I haven't had a Burger experience like the one I had on my recent trip to Prince Edward County. By happy accident, me and 3 girlfriends stayed in the Motel section of Angeline's Inn for a weekend away to tour local wineries and some gastronomical fair. Our first night there, we headed just across the parking lot to Angeline's in house restaurant called The Hubb Eatery and LoungeThe Hubb offers dishes that are made with local fresh ingredients served by a friendly, knowledgeable and laid back staff headed by Chef Elliot and his wife Sommelier Laura. 

Though the inside is tiny, it was decorated beautifully and simply. They have a large patio as well but it was chilly so we sat inside. The quaint atmosphere just begs you to sit down, have a great meal and relaaaaaaaaaaaax.





Photo Source: The Lemon Kitchen

The Menu offers so many unique options, from Mix and Match meat and cheeses to small plates of Beets or Tuna Crudo; you won't find any deep fried greasy zucchini sticks or nachos here.... and I LOVE that! As soon as I laid eyes on the menu, I thought "this is REAL food".

The Waiter (who was adorable and super attentive) brought us an amuse bouche to get our palate going, it was sweet melon with a cream sauce, divine! 




Next we ordered the Mix N' Match Cheese and Charcuterie of tiny pickles, Indian mustard and amazing local cheeses and meats. This had all the flavor you could ask for, sweet from the pickles, spicy meats and mustard, rich decadent cheese. To. Die. For!


Photo Source: www.angelines.ca

For my main course I got The Hubb Burger - hand ground beef, aged cheddar, onion marmalade, shaved lettuce, house made bun, Hubb sauce and baby spuds on the side. To make it even more luxurious I added bacon jam and fois grais. Yes, you read that right, fois grais on a burger; if that's wrong, I don't want to be right! It was juicy and the flavors are indescribably good. Meaty and rich with sweetness from the onion marmalade and the fois grais added an existential dimension that I have never had with another burger.  

The ketchup was homemade as well, it was spicy and way better than anything Heinz could come up with. Price - Burger alone $15, bacon jam $3 and fois gras $8.

You would think that I would have been laying-on-the-floor stuffed by now, and I was. But that didn't stop me from trying some of the incredible Pappardelle pasta with a creamy brown butter sauce that my girlfriend couldn't finish. It was like crack for a pasta lover! It was a Special so not on their regular menu, but oh my goodness it should be! (Sorry no pic of that, I was in a trance while eating it).

After one of the most memorable meals I have had, we waddled across the parking lot to finish the night outside hanging out at a table between our two rooms. The night was calm, we had full bellies of food and wine and we just sat back to watch the comings and goings of this lovely little piece of heaven in the County. It was the perfect ending to the perfect meal. 




As you can tell, my opinion of this restaurant is that I loved it, I recommend it and I will be back. 

A big thank you to the staff at Angeline's and the Hubb! You all are passionate and enjoy what you do....and it shows!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!