Thursday 16 May 2013

I am here to save you from boring Chicken!

My Roomie made this AMAZING Chicken dish last night that I MUST share with you all as it is easy, unique and best of all, tasty. Now I first must prelude the recipe by saying I have a strong love/hate relationship with chicken. More specially those boneless, skinless chicken breasts we all buy and are a staple in almost everyone's diet.

Why? Well....

I love that white meat chicken is super good for you; it is low in fat, high in protein and you can use it in a variety of ways and cooking techniques.

I hate that it is the "go-to" protein in almost every relatively health meal and I feel overloaded with it at times. If you don't want to eat red meat, the alternative is chicken, chicken, chicken every where you turn! It can be so blah and boring and I can get sick of eating it really quickly. I also find that the white meat breasts have a weird taste to me sometimes, it's too "chickeny" tasting (yes I am well aware of how weird this sounds, I have tried to explain this to my Roomie and she thinks I am nuts, LOL).

So armed with this knowledge of my struggles with this white meat, my Roomie when she cooks tries different ways of making chicken to try and make it tolerable for me, how sweet is that?

So without further ado, here is the chicken dish that she created that pleased even me!

What you'll need (these measurements are a bit of a guess as the Roomie kind of winged it so alter these as you see fit):
  • 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 pack)
  • 1/4 cup of Thai Seasoning (this link will take you to Club House but my Roomie found a great option at Bulk Barn that I wasn't able to find on their website so just use what you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Coconut (the shredded kind)
  • 1/3 cup of mayonnaise (use your favorite brand)
What you'll do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
  2. Take the chicken breasts and lightly coat them in the mayonnaise. You don't want them sopping wet with mayo, just coated enough to give the spices something to stick to.
  3. Place the Thai Seasoning, the Panko Bread Crumbs and the Coconut into a large Zip Lock bag and shake that around to mix it all together.
  4. Place 1 or 2 chicken breasts in the Zip Lock bag and shake, shake, shake! Repeat for all of the remaining chicken breasts.
  5. Place the breasts on a baking sheet that is covered in tin foil (for easy clean up) and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins (check them at 20 and cook longer if needed, juices should run clear!). The crust should be golden brown and you should serve right away!
We paired these chicken breasts with a cucumber and tomato salad with Renee's Cucumber Dill dressing (a household fav) and it was SO DELICIOUS! To make this recipe a bit lower in fat I would try substituting Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise. This dish can be made more kid friendly if you cut the chicken into strips or use cutlets instead!

Here is a picture of my lunch leftovers that I turned into an equally tasty Coconut Chicken Salad!


How good does this look!?

So there you have it, I am converted to a Chicken Lover after eating it this way (for now, LOL). Let me know if anyone tries this recipe, would love to hear if you found it as delish as I did and if you had any interesting variations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!