Monday 8 April 2013

Bayshore & Meatballs

Hi all! Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. I had a low key weekend with no social obligations but still managed to keep pretty busy. My Roomie and I headed to Bayshore Shopping Center in Ottawa for some retail therapy as we had some gift cards from Xmas burning holes in our pockets. So we braved the traffic and construction for a huge expansion currently going on at the Bayshore Mall and browsed what the Bay had to offer. We scored some skinny jeans by Jessica Simpson which I have never ever tried before but was really impressed with the fit and style for this line. The jeans are definitely cut to fit a woman with some curves (i.e. room for actual hips and a bit of booty) and the jeans still fit nicely in the leg. Often what fits by butt and hips is too loose in the leg. I also picked up a cute spring/summer top from Dynamite (a fav store of mine). 

 Jessica Simpson Forever Skinny jeans in White


When the weather is suited for wearing this outfit I will post a picture of me sporting this very springy look! I am going to pair this with some beige heels and wear this look for work. I will definitely wear the top with some regular blue jeans or a jean skirt as well in the summer. What do you think of these pieces?

On Sunday we ran some errands and I took the initiative to make meatball subs with homemade meatballs from scratch. Oh yeah baby! Go big or go home I say....I also say if you are going to have a cheat meal, while on Weight Watchers, do it right so you can appreciate every mouthful :)

I found this recipe on Pinterest and thought it looked super easy and tasty so I gave it a whirl. You basically cook some onion, garlic and spices with spinach, combine with your meat of choosing (I did pork and beef, wanted veal but the store was out) and bake the meatballs in the oven. When done, throw the meatballs in some ready made jarred tomato sauce and heat through. I had the meatballs simmering in the sauce for a couple of hours so I think that made a difference in the taste but that isn't a necessity if you don't have the time.You then line up your rolls on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and load the meatballs, sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese and pop them in the oven at 400 F until the cheese is bubbly (about 5-7 mins). I broiled the subs for a couple of those minutes to get a bit of browning on the cheese.

Here are the little beauties before they went in the oven. They even look tasty like this!

Here is the finished product. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture but I think you can still see how amazing these look.

Now I wouldn't say that making the meatballs is "easy" as far as time goes. It's a bit time consuming so you can make this recipe even more convenient by using frozen meatballs of your preference. The meal was very well received and my Roomies loved that it was kind of like a special meal that you would have been crazy excited to see as a kid. A couple of things I would change next time I make this dish; I would add some Parmesan cheese to the meatballs to give them a bit more flavor  I would also make sure that the cheese is completely covering the bread when baking. As you can probably tell some of the bread got a little burnt in the oven. But other then that, I LOVED this sandwich! I paired it with some red wine to make it an official Italian experience.

If you aren't following me on Pinterest, you are seriously missing out! I have some great recipes on my "Eat" board and you can check out some other "Eat here before you die" restaurants from around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!